So if Joey wasn't enough to keep us on our toes - JD decided he needed a little attention as well. We found JD in our laundry room on a Monday night laying on his bed very lathargic and puss coming from his mouth and spots of blood randomly on his bed. So if that wasn't bad enough we then saw his neck was completely swollen and not normal at all. So the loving husband that I have said he would take him in for me to get him checked out. I only had to beg a few times because it was 10:30 at night. After a couple hours in the vet ER Matt said he was on his way home with no definite answers but it didn't look good.
So we took him into our vet first thing in the morning to have him examined and see if they could find out what is wrong with him. I will never forget that phone call! They are super sweet there and they called to let me know that JD was there and doing fine just hanging out in the back, seemed comfortable and was wagging his tail everytime they went back there, but from what they could see and from what they knew it didn't look good and they just wanted to prepare us for the worst. They were going to go in there around lunch time to get an exact answer of what it was but just wanted to give us a heads up. Okay I can take that I appreciated the call, and it gave me time to digest it. But when I hung up the phone I lost it and decided I coudn't take that news we cannot lose JD right now he is only 8 years old - how can this be happening.
So after lunch they called us to let us know that it wasn't the worst news. JD is going to be okay he had an absest that was growing in his throat and up under his tongue that just got out of control so they had to go in and surgically remove it and get it all cleaned up. Okay I can do that whatever it is as long as he is going to be okay.
Surgery went well and JD got to come home that same day. It was a lot of work caring for a dog with a hole in his throat and 3 kids and 1 happy dog, but we managed and everyone has done great. JD has healed well from what we can see and now just has to have his drain tube removed. Not my most favorite thing to deal with but I will do it for my kids and dogs. I had to clean up draining blood and puss for a few days in my laundry room where we kept him. What a week for animals
JD was not happy about me taking his picture but this kind of gives you an idea of what we were dealing with.

No comments:
Post a Comment